Prague: Prague State Opera - St?tn? Opera PrahaOriginally called the Neues Deutsches Theater (New German Theater), the Prague State Opera opened in 1888 with a performance of Wagner's opera, Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg.
The theater hailed as a stage for German works and was prominent in the music world until World War II when it experienced a period of decline. The opera house was then called Smetana Theatre. And though there were occasional guest performances by such luminaries as Gustav Mahler and Richard Strauss, few performances were held.
After the fall of communism in 1992, the theatre began to function under its current name, the Prague State Opera. Italian opera and ballet performances filled the repertoire and regular programs were restored. The theater continues its resurgence today sprinkling German and French opera into the repertoire as well as classical concerts, which are held throughout the year.