As we welcome 2009, we thought it might be fun to look back on the past year with a list of the top 10 most popular articles published on our website. With tour companies competing hard for your travel dollars and more favorable currency exchange rates, better travel values lie ahead. Now is the time to start dreaming about your next trip.
Selected according to their popularity, the articles below feature wisdom garnered from our own experiences in Europe as well as practical information you can use for your travels this coming year.
1. London Layover: What to Do with 8 Hours in London: With an extensive subway system (the Tube) and densely-located tourist sights, London is an easy place to explore during a layover to Gatwick or Heathrow airports.
2. Day Trips from Rome: Once you've had your fill of the amazing experiences that Rome has to offer, check out these places, which are a short hop from the Eternal City.
3. Day Trips from Florence - Lucca: Lucca isn’t the most popular destination in Italy or the most spectacular, but herein lies its charm. The town,with its Medieval city wall, lovely piazzas and friendly street vendors, is a draw in its own right. Plus, the annual Puccini Festival is nearby.
4. Paris Opera Season Schedule: Since attending a performance at the Paris Opera is one of our most popular activities, it's no wonder that an article highlighting the latest season schedule made it to the top 10 list.
5. What to Wear to the Opera: Going to La Scala in Milan or the opera in Paris? Find out what people are wearing to the theater.
6. Church Concerts in Venice, Paris & London: Soaring ceilings, stained glass windows, and frescoes serve as the backdrop for these concerts held in cathedrals throughout Europe.
7. Paris Shopping: 9 Uncommon Souvenirs: Remember the sights, sounds, and tastes from your vacation with some great souvenirs. Use our popular list for ideas of what to bring back from Paris.
8. Train Travel in Europe: Trains offer convenient, care-free, and comfortable rides, saving you the hassle of having to navigate through crowded airports, wait for taxis, deal with traffic, decipher foreign road signs or guess at driving rules. Get tips on how to book tickets and how to ride the rails.
9. Backstage Tours of European Opera Houses: For some of us, the excitement of seeing a performance at a European opera house is just not enough. Fortunately, theaters throughout Europe open their backstage doors to the public for an inspiring look behind the scenes.
10. Paris after Dark: Things to Do in Paris at Night: At night, Paris glows from the tip of the Eiffel Tower to the waters of the Seine. Know that some of the most memorable experiences of Paris can be had after the sun sets.